""Mattress Reviews"" – Google News
We include products that we believe will be useful to our readers. If you buy from links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
If a person feels that their mattress is too soft or has no support, using a firm mattress topper can help. A topper can be a simple and inexpensive way to add firmness to a mattress without replacing it.
This article looks at the pros and cons of mattress toppers, some points to consider when choosing, and some of the best options out there.
According to the International Chiropractors Association, using a mattress that doesn’t provide support can lead to poor spine alignment. This can lead to increased muscle tension as the muscles have to work harder to stabilize the spine. A mattress topper can help.
Some of the benefits of using a firm mattress topper are as follows:
- They add more support and alignment to the spine.
- They are often cheaper than replacing a mattress.
- They make it possible to test a firmer lying surface without having to invest in a new mattress.
- They are easy to carry around when you are not sleeping at home.
- They are useful for adapting a mattress to suit different sleepers or sleeping styles.
Some disadvantages of using a firm mattress topper are as follows:
- Some polyurethane mattress toppers can contain harmful volatile organic compounds that can cause health problems such as respiratory problems, headaches, organ damage, and cancer.
- Mattress toppers can contain toxic flame retardants that can have adverse health effects such as hormonal imbalances, cancer, and neurological problems.
- PVC or vinyl coverings can contain harmful chemicals that can harm the developing reproductive system.
- A mattress topper may not be effective if a mattress sags or has large soft spots
- Some toppers can be expensive, so investing in a new mattress may be better depending on the results you want.
When choosing a firm mattress topper, the following points should be considered:
- If a person experiences overheating while sleeping, they may want to look for breathability and cooling properties, especially foam mattress toppers that can retain heat.
- If a person is looking for additional support, they may want to look for a topper that will help align the spine and relieve pressure points.
- It may be best to look for long-lasting, durable materials like natural latex that are more durable than petroleum-based foams.
- Investing in a good quality product can be more expensive to start with but maximize its lifespan.
- Some mattress toppers may only be spot clean, so it may be best to consider a removable, washable cover.
Some mattress toppers use more sustainable production methods and materials than others. Certifications can indicate a lower environmental impact of a product as well as non-toxicity.
For example, people can search for the following certifications:
Warranty and Sleep Test products allow people to test a product before they commit.
Please note that the author of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
PlushBeds natural latex topper
The PlushBeds natural latex topper is made from 100% natural Talalay latex.
You can choose from four different degrees of hardness, including firm and extra firm. You can also choose between 2 or 3 inches (inches) thick.
This mattress topper is:
- developed to relieve pressure points
- OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 and GREENGUARD Gold certified
- dust mite resistant
- designed to allow airflow
The PlushBeds natural latex topper is available online.
Vegan avocado topper
The Avocado Vegan Topper is made of organic latex and cotton, and people can choose a solid option.
This mattress topper:
- uses GOLS certified latex for gentle support
- uses GOTS certified cotton to cool and wick away moisture
- has a certification from Vegan Action
- is Made Safe and GREENGUARD Gold certified
- has CO2 negative production and shipping
The Avocado Vegan Topper is available online.
Sealy Essentials mattress topper
The Sealy Essentials is a 3-inch mattress topper made of firm foam. It contains gel-infused memory foam to help regulate the temperature while sleeping.
This mattress topper is medium soft and adapts to the body. It has generally received positive reviews online.
The Sealy Essentials mattress topper can be bought online.
ViscoSoft mattress topper
The ViscoSoft mattress topper is a 3-inch topper made of high-density memory foam with a medium-firm grip. There are seven size options and has a removable, washable and hypoallergenic cover.
The company claims this mattress topper is durable and minimizes the transfer of motion, which is useful when multiple people share a bed. The topper is non-slip and comes with straps to attach it to the mattress.
The gel-infused memory foam can help regulate temperature while you sleep.
The ViscoSoft mattress topper is available online.
BedStory mattress topper
This CertiPUR-US certified memory foam topper is lightly fortified with natural lavender oil for a relaxing scent.
The memory foam is also ventilated for air circulation and adapts to the body. This helps to relieve pressure points and to support the body weight evenly.
Customers can choose from five size options and a thickness of either 2 or 3 inches. The mattress topper is hypoallergenic.
The BedStory mattress topper is available online.
Molecule Triple Zone mattress topper
This mattress topper is specially designed to provide support and pressure relief. The three targeted zones support different areas of the body.
The company claims this mattress topper helps regulate temperature, allow airflow, and control humidity.
This CertiPUR-US certified mattress topper is available in six size options.
The Molecule Triple Zone mattress topper is available online.
Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam mattress topper
This CertiPUR-US certified mattress topper uses green tea and charcoal to remove odors and reduce moisture.
People can choose from 1.5 to 4 inches thick and there are six size options.
Layers of memory foam and high density foam conform to the body, which can help relieve physical pain.
The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam mattress topper is available online.
Mattress toppers are similar to mattress toppers, but usually fit over a mattress similar to a fitted sheet.
A mattress topper can be quilted and contain down. Many options on the market are hypoallergenic and breathable, and some reviews suggest they offer a cooler, more supportive surface than some foam toppers.
Adding a firm mattress topper to a mattress can help create a more supportive sleeping area.
However, if a mattress sags or has large indentations, a mattress overlay may not be effective. In these cases, a person can benefit from purchasing a new mattress.