Updated July 21, 2021 at 9:21 a.m. ET
Futures for the S&P 500 and Dow suggest the indices could extend their recovery after a volatile period of trading sparked by worries about the spread of the coronavirus. Here’s what we’re watching before the opening bell. Read our full market overview here.
Coca-Cola KO 0.18%
rose 2.5% in pre-trading after it updated its forecast for the year and reported an increase in earnings per share for the second quarter.
Johnson & Johnson JNJ 0.94%
up 0.6% after beating analysts’ estimates for quarterly revenue and earnings from rising medical, drug and health product sales.
Chipotle Mexican Grill CMG 1.50%
climbed 4.7% after sales were reported that exceeded pre-pandemic levels. The grocery chain invested in deliveries and online ordering before the virus, and generated nearly half of its revenue in the second quarter from digital transactions.
Chipotle’s sales have surged above pre-pandemic levels.
David Paul Morris / Bloomberg News
- Bitcoin rose 5.6% from its level at 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday and traded at $ 31,500. On Tuesday it slipped below $ 30,000 for the first time in about a month.
Harley-Davidson HOG 4.48%
up 1% after a jump in sales due to higher motorcycle sales in North America.
- Oilfield service company Baker Hughes BKR 1.98%
rose 4% after beating analysts’ revenue estimates and posting a smaller net loss than the same period last year.
United Airlines UAL 6.58%
added 1.9% after the company announced it would return to profitability in the third quarter on a pre-tax basis and that business and international traffic is recovering faster than expected.
Netflix NFLX -0.23%
declined 1% ahead of the market after adding 1.5 million memberships in the second quarter, reflecting slower growth in new subscribers after a surge last year at the height of the pandemic.
- Sports betting provider DraftKings DKNG 2.60%
3% increased. It said it plans to start an exchange for sports-related NFTs or non-fungible tokens.
- ASML Holding shares traded in the USA,
a Dutch semiconductor supplier, rose 3.1% ahead of the market after announcing second-quarter earnings, a new share buyback program and higher full-year sales guidance.
- Robotic surgical equipment maker Intuitive Surgical rose 3% after seeing a jump in earnings in the second quarter on increased demand for its products and an increase in the number of surgeries following delays due to the pandemic.
- Cruise lines rose, expanding Tuesday’s profits to a second day. Carnival CCL 7.45%
is up 3.5% in front of the bell and the Royal Caribbean Group RCL. gone up 7.74%
increased by 1.9%.
- Equipment manufacturer Whirlpool,
Casino operator Las Vegas Sands LVS 0.93%
and Equifax EFX credit reporting agency 3.16%
are expected to show profits after the market closes.
Chart of the day
- Netflix remains in a post-pandemic slump. The second quarter added 1.5 million new paying subscribers, slightly better than forecast but still the lowest growth in nearly a decade.
Copyright © 2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All rights reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8